Tuesday 29 January 2008

working on a paper on gender, ethnicity, religion and class



While I was developing courses, some of my colleagues wondered why I was always bugging them with 'picture ethics'. I am always asking them to get equal representation for women/men and age, and different ethnical backgrounds, just to give the ITM courses just that little more umph that learners need.

But because they kept questioning my stubberness in using pictures that depict non-stereotyp roles or use pictures from various ethnic groups, I felt it was time I could back my story up. So I started looking for a checklist and theoretical arguments that would back up what I was saying.

I did not find a checklist for instructional design, but I did find some great papers and books on the subject. So let me give you my list and feel free to add some of yours, or send me remarks on the subject.

Chorng-Shyong Ong and Jung Yu Lai. Gender differences in perceptions and relationships among dominants of e-learning acceptance. Computers in Human Behavior Volume 22, Issue 5, September 2006, Pages 816-829. Science Direct

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6VDC-4C2NJ6R-3&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=1725b9264bbadbf31b7a65a1714b52d2


Mary Ann Cejka and Alice H. Eagly . Gender-Stereotypic Images of Occupations Correspond to the Sex Segregation of Employment Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, Vol. 25, No. 4, 413-423 (1999). Sage Journals.

http://psp.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/25/4/413


Amy L. Baylor and Yanghee Kim. Pedagogical Agent Design: The Impact of Agent Realism, Gender, Ethnicity, and Instructional Role. LNCS Volume 3220/2004 Intelligent Tutoring Systems DOI10.1007/b100137. 2004. ISBN978-3-540-22948-3 CategoryPedagogical Agents. Pages592-603

http://www.springerlink.com/content/bfw9rj3y4fd8qn7g/


Book (Globalized E-learning Cultural Challenges ) theorizing a multiple cultures instructional design model for elearning and eTeaching http://books.google.be/books?hl=nl&lr=&id=2QXK6R503xoC&oi=fnd&pg=PA130&dq=ethnicity+gender+elearning&ots=Y6NyL05sY2&sig=8szOcZLSeoz91uWMGcSNuytQcPI#PPA131,M1

A review on the book: http://www.sil.org:8090/silebr/2007/silebr2007-011


On women and medicine Taylor C.: J Womens Health. 1994 Jun;3(3):143-53.LinkOut
Gender equity in research.


E. Melis and C. Ullrich. Gender-biased adaptations in educational adaptive hypermedia. In P. de Bra and W. Nejdl, editors, Proceedings of the third International Conference on Adaptive Hypermedia and Adaptive Web-Based Systems, pages 425-428. Springer, 2004. http://www.ags.uni-sb.de/~cullrich/publications/Melisetal-Gender-TR-2004.pdf

I. Heemskerk, A. Brink, M. Volman, G. ten Dam. Inclusiveness and ICT in education: a focus on gender, ethnicity and social class. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, Volume 21, Number 1, February 2005, pp. 1-16 (16). Blackwell Publishing. Link

A difficult one to cover is the minority ethnical groups... still trying to find how I can implement this in an overal instructional design guideline.

Chaos in my head at the moment and in my references, but the idea is getting clearer.

2 comments:

  1. Ignatia, my work was part of a project that put an heavy emphasis on gender mainstreaming and I just remembered that one partner, Marc Jelitto, also worked on it. He collected quite an extensive link collection.
    A lot is in German, but some of it is in English.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is great Ullrich, thank you so much. I can read German, so they are all very useful.

    ReplyDelete